The Chef: Loryn Nalic
Her Eating place: Balkan Deal with Field, in Webster Groves, Mo.
What She’s Recognized For: Turning a meals truck in downtown St. Louis right into a celebrated eating place. Making ready Balkan classics, grilled meats and freshly baked breads without a shortcuts.
SO MANY DISHES at the menu at Balkan Deal with Field come immediately from St. Louis’s Bosnian neighborhood, the most important out of doors Europe, stated chef
Her husband and industry spouse,
got here to the town as a refugee in his teenagers. Early of their courtship, this recipe changed into a touchstone.
Ms. Nalic discovered to prepare dinner the meat-and-potato pie serving to to arrange for a neighborhood tournament. A phyllo crust with a filling of potatoes and smoked red meat, it historically comes with yogurt drizzled on best—and likewise takes moderately a very long time to make, Ms. Nalic famous. At Balkan Deal with Field doing issues historically may be very a lot the purpose, however for the ones cooking at house the chef has get a hold of a couple of brief cuts.
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Percentage your revel in with this recipe. Did you’re making any variations? How did you serve it? Sign up for the dialog beneath.
Jumpstart the method by way of blanching the potatoes till they’re gentle and creamy; in the meantime, sauté the onions and the sausage. For the crust? Frozen phyllo to the rescue. Merely layer sheets of thawed dough in a pan and brush with melted butter. Folded over the savory filling, the pastry bakes till golden and crisp. Along with that drizzle of yogurt, you’ll be able to upload crumbled feta and a few parsley when you in point of fact need to make it a banquet (on the other hand speedy).
To discover and seek thru all our recipes, take a look at the brand new WSJ Recipes web page.
- Kosher salt and freshly floor black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup finely chopped smoked red meat sausage meat, reminiscent of summer time sausage or kielbasa with casing got rid of
- 1 (1-pound) package deal frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup crumbled feta (non-compulsory)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (non-compulsory)
- Preheat oven to 425 levels. Set a medium pot stuffed with salted water over prime warmth and convey to a boil. Upload potatoes and boil till simply gentle, about 10 mins. Pressure and toss dry.
- In the meantime, in a medium pan over medium warmth sauté onions with Three tablespoons melted butter till translucent, about five mins. Upload sausage and prepare dinner till flavors meld, about 2 mins.
- Stir potatoes into onion-meat combination in conjunction with 2 tablespoons melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush an 8-inch spherical pan with butter and lay in 3 sheets phyllo, brushing each and every sheet with butter earlier than including some other. Upload potato-meat filling and unfold out frivolously. Most sensible with five further sheets phyllo, brushing each and every with butter. (Reserve last phyllo for some other use.) Trim extra dough, leaving no less than 1-inch overhang. Fold edges of phyllo over, rolling towards middle of pie to seal. Brush best with extra melted butter.
- Bake pie on middle rack till golden, about 20 mins. In the meantime, whisk water into yogurt and season with salt.
- To serve, minimize pie into wedges and garnish with feta and parsley, if the use of. Serve with thinned yogurt.
Copyright ©2020 Dow Jones & Corporate, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Supply hyperlink : WSJ